Press ESC to close

All about Food License Registration in India

In recent years street food has become a hot topic, with people flocking from miles around to get a taste of the latest pop-up kitchen and develop a palate for the latest foodie craze. Various kinds of food serving models like a food truck, street vendors, a modern kitchen, and a cloud kitchen. It’s evident that there’s money to be made in the street food business. In order to maintain its, the hygienic and healthy government of India set an authority that is in charge to monitor and govern the food business in India.  The Food Standards and Safety Authority of India (FSSAI) is the supreme authority that is responsible for regulating and supervising food safety.

Food business operators must have to take Food License Registration before setting up their business. The authority of FSSAI comes under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India. We at Legal Pillers helps Food Business Operators to get their Food License anywhere in India.

Category of License or Registration:-

Department has specified three categories for food business operators such as –

1. Basic Food Registration – it is for small business persons who just set up their business and does not have turnover or Rs. 12 lack or more. FBO like small to medium-sized manufacturers, storage units, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors, etc. are required to obtain the FSSAI Registration. The tenure of the license could be 1 year to 5 years.

2. Sate Food Registration –State License is for those businesses whose turnover of more than 12 lakh rupees but less than 20 crore rupees in a year. It is compulsory to have an establishment in one state for getting State Food Registration. You can also apply FSSAI Registration for 1 year at a time or more than 1 year but less than 5 years.

3. Central Food Registration – Central License required for those Food business operators who are Importers, 100% Export Oriented Units, large manufacturers, operators in the Central Government agencies, airports, seaports, etc. In these cases, FBO has to take a central license irrespective of its turnover. If any FBO has more than 1 establishment in different states than FBO have to take central license at their head office and also basic and another license for each establishment or outlet according to its turnover. However, if your Turnover is more than 20 Cr. then a central food license is mandatory.

Who needs to take FSSAI Registration –?

  1. Every person who is dealing with any kind of food product is required to take a food license.
  2. All distributer, suppliers, manufacturers, dealers required to take food licenses.
  3. The person who bridges the gap between farmers and the ultimate consumer’s plate such as packer, repacker, importer, exporter, manufacturer, processor, storage of food, etc. requires taking a food license.
  4. E-commerce vendors like Swiggy, Zomato, Uber eats required to take food licenses and also it is mandatory for those FBO who are supplying their food products by using this kind of platform.
  5. Trading, manufacturing, dealing in organic food products also required Food license in Gurgaon and all over India.

Common documents required for application to the Food Department-

For State and central FSSAI LICENSE:

  • PAN of the proprietor /Directors
  • Id and address proof of proprietor /Directors
  • Passport size picture of proprietor /Directors
  • Declaration form
  • Proof of possession of premises (Rental Agreement / Utility Bill)
  • Certificate of Incorporation / Partnership Deed / MOA & AOA
  • List of food products manufactured or processed or stored
  • Food safety management system plan, if required
  • Trade License, if available
  • Photo of premise
  • List of equipment

For Basic Registration:

  • PAN of the proprietor /Directors
  • Id and address proof of proprietor/Directors
  • Passport size picture of proprietor/Directors
  • Declaration form
  • Proof of possession of premises (Rental Agreement / Utility Bill)
  • Certificate of Incorporation / Partnership Deed / MOA & AOA
  • List of food products manufactured, processed or stored

Procedure to take FSSAI Registration –

We at legal Pillers make the procedure to get Food License is very easy.

  • Go to at Register section
  • Enter details and create a user id and password.
  • Now go to Buy Now and make payment.
  • A dedicated expert will call you from Legal Pillers who will assist you.
  • After making the payment, submit your documents online.
  • On your behalf, our expert will submit your application.
  • Congratulations your work gets done. The certificate will be sent to your email address.

Ritesh Mishra

Hi, My name is Ritesh Mishra, a Practicing Advocate having several year experience in Business Consultancy, Secretarial Law, Intellectual Properly Law, Taxation, Business Modeling and other allied matters. I have been serving Small and Big Industries since several years. I have also been serving industry in various kind of licensing and liasoning works across India.

Comments (1)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *